In hot climates like Texas where drought is common in many regions, more landscape contractors are becoming actively involved in the water conservation movement and development of methods to stretch the state’s water resources.
Xeriscaping is one such method that more landscaping contractors encourage, as it allows property owners to do more with less when it comes to water usage.
When done properly, xeriscaping involves landscaping services that can give owners the beautiful property they desire while also practicing cost-effective water conservation in a very dry region that depends on it.
Considering that 25% of the water used in the state is used to maintain landscaping, xeriscaping is a technique that can actually make a positive effect as a water conservation effort.
What Is Water-Conserving Xeriscaping?
Xeriscaping is a plan utilized by landscape contractors that has the goal of creating beautiful, healthy landscapes that can be maintained on minimal amounts of water.
It involves multiple principles that collectively use less water while landscaping plants can still thrive.
How Is Xeriscaping Done by Landscapers?
Landscaping services that use xeriscaping start with a good plan and clear understanding of soil, plants, water requirements, and water conservation.
Landscaping contractors approach this method using seven essential principles to develop a water-efficient landscape design and determine which techniques will be necessary to maintain it.
- Planning and Landscape Design - Creating a drought-resistant, water-efficient landscape always begins with a sketch of the landscape design and its desired look.Landscape contractors use that idea as a base to begin their plan for achieving those goals with xeriscaping, making modifications to the overall design as required to implement highly effective xeriscaping techniques.
- Soil Analysis and Preparation - An essential part of the planning involves understanding soil qualities which can be learned through soil analysis. Before adding any plants, the soil should be prepared so it is healthy, with an acceptable amount of organic matter and fertilizer that leaves it able to support plant growth while also having a higher water retention rate.
- Planning Efficient Turf Areas - Lawns are among the biggest consumers of water, so limited lawn space is ideal. Xeriscape landscaping contractors must plan to include turf in areas where it is most efficient and protective, but also find creative ways to limit lawn spaces, replacing some of those areas with hardscaping like walkways, patios, shrubs, groundcover, and more.
- Plant Selection - For xeriscaping to be successful, landscaping services must select suitable plants that can function as a cohesive unit to reduce water needs for all of the plants. In Texas, this includes the use of trees, bushes, grasses, and groundcovers that are either native or drought-resistant species, relying on those species to create the desired color palette in the design.
- Irrigation - Irrigating is necessary to keep landscaping alive, but the key is to use a system that prevents runoff and water wastage, allowing plants to take advantage of all that is delivered to the soil. Drip and seepage irrigation systems with water sensors and timers are very effective for preventing under or over-watering as well as applying small amounts of water gradually, which improves absorption rates.
- Mulch - Using a material that plays an essential part in water conservation by slowing evaporation, mulching is a major technique used in xeriscaping. Rock mulch is typically used when xeriscaping for a true southwestern look, although other types of mulch can also be utilized. The employment of slow, careful irrigation will help keep the soil moist enough for healthy plant growth.
- Maintenance - Once xeriscaping is complete, landscape contractors then recommend good maintenance to keep lawns short and less thirsty, control water-stealing weeds, monitor all plants, and adjust irrigation and mulching as needed to maintain all plants.
Water Conservation Begins With Xeriscaping
As hot and dry as it can get in most parts of Texas, having a beautiful landscape is not just challenging but costly in more ways than one.
Landscaping contractors can lower that cost, both monetarily and in terms of water consumption, with effective drought-resistant xeriscaping techniques.
Xeriscape landscape services are a promising solution for saving shrinking water resources in Texas while still having a beautiful property!
Interested in Xeriscape Landscape Services in Bryan Texas?
Landscaping Ninjas Are Experienced Xeriscape Contractors!
Call 979-399-8835 to Learn More!
12948 Tonkaway Lake Rd, Suite 326
College Station, TX 77845